Re: Lousy performace

From: Joel Cornell <joelc_at_kodak.com>
Date: 1997/05/15

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:55:52 -0500, Paul <pnutts_at_writeme.com> wrote:

>I am new to Oracle, so be kind...
>We are implementing Oracle at our organization, and the performance
>seems to be lacking. I have nothing to benchmark it against except for
>the consultants telling us that our switched 100/10MBS Ethernet Network
>can't handle the bandwidth. Our NetWare tools tell us that our network
>utilization is only around 1%, so I don't know who to believe. Here are
>some specifics:
>A typical development PC is a 133MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM, 2.1Gig
>HD, Windows95.
>Is it really our network or are we overlooking something? Any help would
>be appreciated and you will become our hero.
>Paul Nutterfield
>pnutts_at_writeme.com

The big issue is how is your PC communicating with the Oracle server? If your doing queries with joins and the processing is done on the client side, then you could really be bogging down your network. If, on the other hand, most of the processing is being done on the server and the result of the query is passed back (assuming the result isn't huge), then it's probably not a network issue. This usually boils down to what software/development platform you're using and what technology within that platform. Hope this helps. If you can give some more info along those lines, maybe we could tell you some things you can do to improve performance. Received on Thu May 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT