Re: Help: ODBC driver for Office 97 Pro on NT 4.0

From: Les Middlestadt <lmiddlestadt_at_onramp.ca>
Date: 1997/05/14

--------------AFB2390613EC64FFFD0DDF5A

Dwight Long wrote:

> Michael Jenc wrote:
> >
> > Arne Rudolph wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > which ODBC driver do I have to use, if I want to use Access 97 and
> > > MS-Query under Windows NT 4.0 togeter with a Oracle 7.3 database?
> > > Where do I get it?
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > > Arne
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > you can either use the ODBC driver from Oracle (http://www.oracle.com)
> > or the ODBC driver from OpenLink which you can find on
> > http://www.openlinksw.com. I prefer OpenLink (Lite).
> >
> > Ciao
> > Michael
> I've got a related problem. I want to use Access7 on NT4 to query an
> Oracle7 database. I've got the odbc driver from oracle, but can't
> figure out the connect string required to setup the ODBC driver. Can
> someone please tell me how to resolve this and/or send an example
> connect string?
>
> thanks,
> dl

Your connect string depends on your network transport and your version of SQL*Net. For SQL*Net 1.x and SPX transport it would be:

    X:SERVERNAME:DATABASE-INSTANCE where "X" signifies SPX protocol (use "T" for TCP/IP), "SERVERNAME" is the name of the server hosting your Oracle database and "DATABASE-INSTANCE" is the name of the database instance within Oracle (often this is ORCL but could be something else depending on how you've configured Oracle).

If your using version 2.x of SQL*Net, then you should just be able to supply a database alias. If you'r not sure what that is, consult the person who installed the SQL*Net client on your computer.

--------------AFB2390613EC64FFFD0DDF5A

begin:          vcard
fn:             Les Middlestadt
n:              Middlestadt;Les
adr:            ;;1209-10 Kenneth Avenue ;North York;Ontario;M2N 6K6;
email;internet: lmiddlestadt_at_onramp.ca
tel;work:       (416) 322-6520 x275
tel;fax:        (416) 322-5372

x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE