Re: Does Oracle and OpenVMS VAX have a future???

From: Matthew F. Reagan <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1997/05/12

Douglas,

The impression I have gotten is that Oracle does not see much of a future for OpenVMS VAX. OpenVMS Alpha, on the other hand, does have a future. How much is hard to tell. Oracle has committed to providing new releases for OpenVMS Alpha within 3 months of the Digital Unix release, which, if they manage to hit that target, would be great.

Yes, it took a long time to get the 7.3 release out. Hopefully, that won't be repeated, but you can only wait and see if they meet their objectives on a timely delivery. Personally, I find it to be a very stable platform, and don't have plans to migrate off of my pair of Alpha 2100s running parallel server over a *REAL* cluster. I do have an emergency parachute, but don't see any imminent show stoppers that will force me to use it in the near future.

Its really nice to have a machine running a production Oracle database stay up for 130 days without a crash, bugcheck, or even a hiccup. The only reason it came down was to upgrade the network card to 100bT.

Of course, migrating to 7.3 should be a real pain in the butt, since it requires a concurrent OS upgrade.

Matt...

Douglas Scott <dsscott_at_gte.net> wrote in article <5kljdd$knc$1_at_news10.gte.net>...