Re: Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

From: Robert Altena <Robert_at_altena.com>
Date: 1997/05/09

I do not know a lot about UNIX or about SolarisX86. So until now these threads on "Unix vs NT" and now "SolarisX86 vs NT" were just funny reading. There are however two statements that popped up in these threads that do not apply to the DB's I am administring now:

>> The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
>> What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

I've got two Oracle DB's under my hood(7.1.x and 7.2.x): both 7x24, one is in production over a year now. The other a few months. No OScrashes  so far. I'm quite curious as to how you guys manage to crash an NT-server (here I use 3.51) at such regular intervals.

Then there were some remarks like 'You can't send E-mail from NT'

It does not take a lot of time and programming to write a small program (script..??) that collects data from a DB, stuffs it in a Spreadsheet (or word-processor, or whatever) and mails that file to the users.

And last but not least there is the notion that a new DB cannot be created under NT. To this there is just one reply: RTFM (the ones that come with Oracle)

       Robert Altena
       (real E-mail: altena_at_gol.com)