Re: "Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/09

Nilo SEGURA CHINCHILLA wrote:

> ** Sorry, I have to disagree here... :-)
> **
> **We have a shell script which fires of every night without problem
> **perform our cold backups: It checks for connected Oracle sessions
> first,
> **and kills off (with the *UNIX kill* command, and *not an Oracle
> kill
> **session command*) any sessions it finds; it then pauses for 60
> seconds,
> **then performs a shutdown immediate. This script has worked fine
> for 4
> **years on two different sites, both of which were UNIX based (HP-UX
> and
> **AIX).
> **
> **Steve Phelan.
> **
> **
>
> Well, if you disagree... why do you use the KILL command then ? Your
> text
> means that you do not trust oracle shutdown command.... otherwise
> why to
> kill the unix process to assure a clean shutdown ? You would not do
> that
> with a RELIABLE shutdown immediate wouldn't you ?
>
> regards...
> --
>
> Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail
> nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
> Computing and Network Division *
> nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
> European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943

 Suggest you read your own mails a little more closely:

>>shutdown abort is the only option that does the job...<<

That was the bit I disagreed with, which was why I quoted it in my reply. Like I said, we've been using the approach I listed for years on UNIX without ANY problems, and I still would trust a shutdown abort as a way to regularly bring down my Oracle databases. Still, if you disagree, that's fine by me.

Steve Phelan. Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT