Re: Varchar2 vs Char

From: Chrysalis <cellis_at_iol.ie>
Date: 1997/05/09

Jerry Veno wrote:

> I've been getting feedback from the developers arguing that using varchar2
> instead of char when defining a table is taking a performance hit. Does anyone
> have any info they could provide on this subject?
> Thanks for any help,
> Jerry Veno

Have your developers any evidence or just a "feeling in their water"? All tests I have done to date indicate that, since Oracle's first implementation was of VARCHAR[2], code has been *added* for fixed-length CHAR. The former, on the basis of tests rather than logic, is more efficient than the latter.

Chrysalis. Received on Fri May 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT