Re: Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

From: Craig Shaver <craig_at_ProGroup.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

James C. Lee wrote:

> Continuing on the thread of NT vs. UNIX, how about NT vs. Solaris x86?I
> think most people would agree that Solaris Sparc is probably the best
> platform for large deployements, and that maintenance and administration
> is easier in UNIX in general, thus Solaris x86. But how about:
>
> 1. Data integrity
> 2. Crashes
> 3. Reliability in general
>
> The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
> What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

I have had good luck with Oracle 7 on solaris 2.5.1 x86, but I have not pressed it hard yet. The installation was a bitch, and most of the problems with installation are Oracle's fault. Email or post for help if you go that route. Hint -- don't use solaris ISS or motif installer.

From first and second hand experience, I get the impression that NT is not very reliable. I have seen NT backend servers crash for no apparent reason, and cannot get a decent indication of the cause.

> We have a low budget and need an Oracle box 7x24. The cheapest solution
> for now would be an Intel box, which means NT or Solaris x86.
>
> ^James

Buy good equipment if you go with intel boxes.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig_at_progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088