Re: Max Size of a Trigger

From: Mike White <mwhite_at_icgconsulting.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

My cheap advice is to have the trigger call a stored procedure with the majority of the code in the procedure. For PL/SQL prior to 2.3 triggers have to be compiled each time it is read from the dictionary. A small trigger calling the sp should solve your compilation problem and increase performance.

Mark Robbins <ROBBINS_at_NTCNAS01Pb.NTC.NOKIA.COM> wrote:

>Hi,

>I dont know about triggers but I am having similar
>problems with a package body.
>My current package body consists of about 4
>procedures/functions and is approximately 250-300
>lines and I am getting problems with wrong
>number/types of arguments to a function.
>But when I compile the function seperately (and
>change the calling code etc) it works fine.

>Is there a patch for this ?

>I guess one workaround would be to split the code
>into different sub packages but I am reluctant to
>do this.

>Thanks,

>Mark
>Ed Jennings wrote:
>>
>> How big can a trigger be? I have a table of 110 columns. I want to
>> check each column for changes, and for each one that changes, insert an
>> entry into an audit table recording before/after images, date/time, who
>> made the change, etc... I can get a clean load upto 83 columns. After
>> I add the 84th, the trigger load fails. I get an error indicating
>> trigger compiled with errors. In user_errors, I get errors indicating
>> bad bind variables, invalid symbols, etc..., but all within the first 30
>> lines of the trigger. These lines were perfectly valid before I added
>> to the bottom of the trigger. I am of the belief that the errors as
>> recorded in user_errors are not accurate. I think the real error is the
>> size of the trigger. has anyone run into this before?
 <snip>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> jenningse_at_mindspring.com
>--
>Mark Robbins
>Mail Addressess - If the first one fails the second
>one should succeed.

>ROBBINS_at_NCSSWS01HU.NTC.NOKIA.COM
>mark.robbins_at_ntc.nokia.com

Mike White
The Image Consulting Group
mwhite_at_icgconsulting.com Received on Thu May 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT