Re: HELP! Tools for talking between database engines!

From: Nick England <nick.england_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/08

Joel,

>> Is there a tool that will translate the calls to one
>> type of DBMS into another?

Have you considered the Oracle Transparent Gateway family? Oracle provide connectivity to 30+ RDBMS's in a way which makes the database seem like an Oracle database (i.e. translates Oralce SQL statements into the remote DB's flavour of SQL using a cross-mapped data dictionary).

Unfortunately these products are both expensive (£20K) and unidirectional.

Regards

Nick

In article <336A0D44.1F3C_at_ibm.net>, Joel Klebanoff <joel_klebanoff_at_ibm.net> writes
>carsten_at_us.net wrote:
>>
>> Are there plug-in tools that would allow a commercial piece of sotware
>> talk with a COE compliant database it wasn't designed to work with?
>>
>> We been developing software with an Oracle database and want to use
>> some off-the-shelf software. Problem is it speaks Sybase and we would
>> rather avoid using two different types of engines. We also have some
>> commercial interests that only speak Informix (so they tell us).
>>
>> Is there a tool that will cross populate fields (event driven) in both
>> types of DBMSs?
>
>OmniReplicator, from Praxis Interantional, replicates changed data,
>cross-platform, with update-anywhere capability among all of the
>databases you mention -- Oracle, Sybase and Informix (as well as DB2 and
>Microsoft SQL Server, and from any of those DBMSs uni-directionally to
>Ingres or Rdb). Vertical partitioning in the product allows you to
>select just particular columns for replication. Horizontal partitioning
>lets you select just particular rows.
>
>So, you can choose your applications based on business benefits, not
>DBMS support. Then, synchronize common data among applications and
>across platforms. You would still have to run the different DBMS
>engines, but OmniReplicator would automate the process of synchronizing
>data among them.
>
>Praxis also offers a snapshot copy facility (OmniCopy) and extract/load
>facility (OmniLoader) which can do the initial data population.
>
>Praxis' web site is at http:/www.praxisint.com
>
>> Is there a tool that will translate the calls to one
>> type of DBMS into another?
>
>Sorry, I don't have an answer to that question.
>

>> Bottom line, we'd rather not start from scratch with a new database.
>> There are commercial products we'd rather mix (unchanged) to make our
>> overall project a success.
>>
>> Thanks ahead for any information you may have.
>>
>> r/jmc
>> carsten_at_us.net

~       Nick England - Oracle Consultant                                 ~
~       Email        - nick.england_at_ejcltd.demon.co.uk                   ~