Re: Opinions Wanted on Oracle for NT

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/05/07

"Scott Danciak" <sdanciak_at_logix-inc.com> writes:

>I hate to burst your bubble but...:

>1. The first publicly available NT version was 3.1 aka Windows NT Advanced
>Server. They dropped the Advanced Server portion with 3.5

I admit my mistake. It was 3.1. I still have my copy of NT Advanced Server 3.1 sitting on my shelf. I did not remember the version number correctly.

>2. A sendmail port to NT is freely available. There are many other FREE

Last time I looked at it, it was really ugly! I dont know of anyone using it. Maybe it has improved a bit now?

>command line utils to send a email message (a mail client program) from a
>command prompt (wrmail, sendsmtp, etc.). SSH is available commercially as
>well as most unix shell emulators.

Hmmm? Tell me please where can I get sshd for NT? I really really like to do interactive work securely from remote locations. There currently is no solution available under NT as far as I know.

Also I have tried bash under NT and I have to say that its got long way to go before it becomes usable.

>4. You are correct when you say there is no built in SMTP/POP3 mail SERVER
>for NT but what you're talking about only requires a mail CLIENT. On the

I was not aware of command line programs you mentioned (wrmail, sendsmtp..). I did not notice them on my NT box.

>other hand, there are about a dozen SMTP/POP3 servers less than $500 for an
>unlimited number of users. Some are even free for a small number of users
>(about two dozen). MS Exchange 5.0 has SMTP/POP3 built in. Exchange does
>lots more than sendmail (Can you say groupware on Unix?) but costs about
>$1000 with only five client licenses.

>> P.S. I have noticed that most of the people defending NT are not really
 very familiar
>> with what Solaris X86 has to offer.
>>

>You are correct on this one. But I'm not claiming to "I know more about
><insert OS here> than you do". I'm simply pointing out that you don't know
>as much about NT as you think you do! You certainly seem to be an expert
>on Unix but I consider you a novice with NT (and I do not consider myself
>an expert on NT).

I said it, because the poster was irritating me to no end, with really clueless claims. Also I just dont have much respect for people who measure greatness of a product based on how many people use it and how much of a money-making-potential it offers. And people who use words like "in the real world..." frequently, when they cant think of a good argument to support their claims.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Wed May 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT