Re: Ross Financials ....Rdb to Oracle migration experiences?

From: Phil Cook <pcook_at_iamerica.net>
Date: 1997/05/06

We are currently migrating from Rdb to Oracle using rmu/unload and SqlLoader. I don't have any time estimates since these are dependent on table sizes, number of constraints, indexes, data scrubbing applications, optimizer paths, etc.

One pitfall is the date conversion, Oracle does not take the time to the precision of 100ths of a second. The second is that the rmu/unload files will contain trailing blanks for any character fields even if the character field is only partially filled. If you insert these blank fields into Oracle, tables will be much larger than they should be. We wrote SqlLoader scripts to remove the trailing blanks.

Phil Cook

RYoung <ryoung_at_summer.dbsol.com> wrote in article <E08BC3C07C7A40EA.DBDAA8739E84A9EE.6C041C55D49961C1_at_library-proxy.airnews.ne t>...