Re: "Thou shalt use 'Shutdown Abort' whenever you shutdown the database." Makes sense?

From: Nilo SEGURA CHINCHILLA <nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch>
Date: 1997/05/06

In article <01bc59fe$8afc7f60$2d22ea9e_at_UKP01436.logica.co.uk>, "Miles Thomas" <thomasm@"at".logica."dot".com> writes:
**[SNIPPAGE]
**> Thanks a lot.
**>
**> Paul.
**>
**> -------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
**> http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet
**>
**
**Can anyone comment whether the following script would result in something
**near a shutdown immediate?
**
**alter system flush shared pool;
**alter system checkpoint;
**alter system switch logfiles;

if you are in archive log mode, I would issue and ARCHIVE LOG ALL (sqldba or svrmgrl command) to be sure that everything has been archived before..

**shutdown abort
**startup restrict
**shutdown
**???
**Also, as I understand it, shutting down the Oracle services under NT is
**equivalent of a shutdown abort. Can anyone confirm?
**
**
**NB: The lack of a shudown immediate command which times out after a
**configurable number of seconds is what leads to the use of shutdown abort
**anyway! Also, I've occaisionally found that an 'alter system kill session'
**is not always effective.
**

 yes, I fully agree, shutdown normal is useless, shutdown immediate is not reliable... shutdown abort is the only option that does the job...

Nilo Segura Chinchilla * e-mail nilo.segura_at_cern.ch Computing and Network Division * nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch European Laboratory for Particle Physics * phone +41 +22 7674943 Geneva - Switzerland *
"I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine