Re: Year 2000 problem

From: Steve Corbett <stevec_at_fcs.wa.gov.au>
Date: 1997/05/05

Jeff Bangle wrote:
> This is one of the reasons I keep trying to get my MIS department to
> test their year 2000 fix by actually setting a server to 1 Jan 2000 and
> running all applications. Their response is "Oracle doesn't have a year
> 2000 problem, so our Oracle applications don't."

get to it!
sure, Oracle database does not have a problem, but did your programmers do the right thing?
we have only found one major issue (mainly cause all our input Forms include century). this was:
passing parameters from Forms3 to ReportWriter1.1 you have to do a to_char as you cannot pass a date. despite our standards saying that the to_char should include century some programmers did not do this. so a user might put in a reporting period of "1/7/1996 to 30/6/2005" but the programmer is passing over "1/7/96 to 30/6/05" to the report, which then reconverts it back to "1/7/1996 to 30/6/1905" Received on Mon May 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT