Re: How to Acess PLSQL

From: Rowan McCammon <rowanm_at_intercoast.com.au>
Date: 1997/05/03

In article <862336668.7404_at_dejanews.com>, sears_at_koyote.com says...

> I am confused about several things regarding PLSQL and
> embedded C with SQL. What is the difference between
> the two exactly?
> I have to do an assignment with updates and deletes
> in either or these formats. If I choose embedded C, where
> do I write the program, and how do I execute it? I'm
> using SqlPlus within an Unix environment.
> Also, how is SqlPlus accessed and executed?? Do I write
> these programs with an editor first? Please help..

Break it up into 3 different parts. Pro*C, SQL*Plus, & PL/SQL. As far as "embedded C with SQL" goes I think you might be talking about a product from Oracle called Pro*C which lets you write C with embedded SQL in it. This code is then pre-compiled into C before being executed.

SQL*Plus is a command line interface into the database server which lets you (among other things) interrogate the tables in the db. It lets you form and execute queries in SQL such as:
SELECT CRAP
FROM TOILET
WHERE TOILET IS NOT FLUSHED;
(or something like that ... :-))

However, Oracle databases can contain more than just tables. It can contain code in the form of Stored Procedures. The code that you use to write these procedures is called PL/SQL.

You can create and execute PL/SQL code with SQL*Plus.

To access both Pro*C and SQL*Plus they have to be installed on the computer that you are using.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your assignment.

Ro. Received on Sat May 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT