Re: Oracle ODBC connection and VB4

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1997/05/03

Mark McCubbin wrote:

> I need my VB4 application to "talk" to the Oracle Local Database that
> resides on my desktop PC. When I try to open the database from my VB4
> app, I get the error message "Couldn't find installable ISAM."
>
> To setup the data source I double-clicked the ODBC icon in Control
> Panel, clicked the Add button, chose "Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb," and
> keyed in "Local Database" for data source name.
>
> The connect code I use in my VB code is
>
> sConnect = "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ODBC32.DLL;UID=SCOTT;PWD=TIGER"
>
> ' Get ISAM error message on next line...
> Set dbPersonInfo = OpenDatabase("Local Database", False, False,
> sConnect)
>
> If you have any advice, I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.
>
> Mark

As someone else stated, you need the correct ODBC driver. The windows95/NT drivers -- new and improved -- are available on the oracle web site.

Make sure you pick the correct driver. The new drivers are 32bit. For instance Access 2.0 needs 16bit drivers. Access 7.0 up uses 32bit drivers.

You generally do not need the class 2 ODBC drivers.

Mike Krolewski mkrolews_at_upw.com Received on Sat May 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT