Re: HELP! Tools for talking between database engines!

From: Joel Klebanoff <joel_klebanoff_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/05/02

carsten_at_us.net wrote:

> Are there plug-in tools that would allow a commercial piece of sotware
> talk with a COE compliant database it wasn't designed to work with?
>
> We been developing software with an Oracle database and want to use
> some off-the-shelf software. Problem is it speaks Sybase and we would
> rather avoid using two different types of engines. We also have some
> commercial interests that only speak Informix (so they tell us).
>
> Is there a tool that will cross populate fields (event driven) in both
> types of DBMSs?

OmniReplicator, from Praxis Interantional, replicates changed data, cross-platform, with update-anywhere capability among all of the databases you mention -- Oracle, Sybase and Informix (as well as DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server, and from any of those DBMSs uni-directionally to Ingres or Rdb). Vertical partitioning in the product allows you to select just particular columns for replication. Horizontal partitioning lets you select just particular rows.

So, you can choose your applications based on business benefits, not DBMS support. Then, synchronize common data among applications and across platforms. You would still have to run the different DBMS engines, but OmniReplicator would automate the process of synchronizing data among them.

Praxis also offers a snapshot copy facility (OmniCopy) and extract/load facility (OmniLoader) which can do the initial data population.

Praxis' web site is at http:/www.praxisint.com

> Is there a tool that will translate the calls to one
> type of DBMS into another?

Sorry, I don't have an answer to that question.

--
Joel Klebanoff
Klebanoff Associates, Inc.