Re: Multi threading and ProC

From: Spencer Olson <spencer_olsen_at_ssb.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

> When we enable multi-threading in our application we get a
> performance penalty more than 10 times of the single-threaded
> application.
>
> Thus: we have the a program with one single thread, using a context
> and compilation is done with same command-line parameters (threads=yes)
> Enabling "EXEC SQL ENABLE THREADS;" in the source gives the penalty.

        I have noticed that there is a difference in performance when using threads and the "EXEC SQL AT <somedatabase> <statement>" compared to the "EXEC SQL <statement>" (thus a default connection). In my case (AIX4.1.4, Oracle 7.3.2.5, ProC 2.2.2) the AT improved perfromance over the default connection. It was minor however, but noticable.

Spencer Olson
spencer_olsen_at_ssb.com Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT