Opinions Wanted on Oracle for NT

From: Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

I've been administering Oracle on Unix for the last few years and know very little about Oracle for NT. A vendor has proposed a monitoring package for our company's infrastructure. The application will run on NT, and the Oracle database can be anywhere. Since this application will be deemed mission critical with 24x7 uptime requirement, I naturally recommended Unix as the platform of choice for the database. Our NT administrator thinks this recommendation is in error, and believes that Oracle on NT is a much better choice. I don't have sufficient knowledge of Oracle on NT to challenge her. I am under the belief that Oracle for NT is little more than a souped up Personal Oracle.

The application in question will be firing thousands of transactions (1-2 K each) a day at the database, and will have 25-75 users querying the database. In addition, batch reports will be generated at night.

Can anyone tell me if NT is stable enough to handle this? Is Oracle for NT robust enough to handle this. Can the App & Oracle reside on the same NT box? Do I need two NT servers (one for the app & one for Oracle)? Can I have more than one instance of Oracle running on one NT box? Should I move to squash this now and insist on a unix database?

I'm prone to the last choice myself, but I welcome all input.

Ed Jennings
Oracle DBA
EPS, Inc.
302.791.8176