RE: UTL_FILE directories

From: AlexJent <alexjent_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/05/01

My home directory on a Solaris X86 2.5.1. machine is under /home/atif which is a link to /opt/home/atif
Atif Khan wrote:

>I spent last 2 days trying to figure out why I couldn't compile any of
>my PL/SQL code that used UTL_FILE package using any directory under my
>home. And then I tried /tmp and it all started working. Just to make
>sure I tried several directories under my home directory again with and
>without FULL read-write permissions. But no go. Nothing I do will
>let me open a file under my home directory. I even tried specifying
>the full path and the symbolic path. I figured it is probably a security

>feature that prevents people from playing with directories that may be
>linked somewhere. I just wish there was some documentation tha mentioned
>this.

Atif,

    You are correct, in part. Each and every directory to be accessed by UTL_FILE
must be specified at start-up in the parameter file. Your DBA should be aware of how to do this. If the parameter is set up as "*" then ALL directories are accessable(NOT RECOMMENDED).

Good Luck.

Alex Jentilucci - Consultant
Information System Dynamics, Inc
Minneapolis, MN 55323
Tele: 612-476-7395 FAX: 612-473-5954 E-Mail: infosys_at_aol.com

E-Mail Work: jentilucci_at_notes.seagate.com

          Home: AlexJent_at_aol.com Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT