Re: Winword Documents and Webserver2.0

From: Glenn Ferguson <glenn_at_home.net>
Date: 1997/05/01

Ralph King wrote:

> Pixner Christoph wrote:
> >
> > I work on a Win95 Pc with SQLNET V2, Webserver 2.0 on Windows NT 4.0
> > and Oracle DB V 7.3 on HP-UX.
> > I would like to store Word Documents in the DB and retrieve them with a
> > Webbrowser.
> > Is it possible and how does it work?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated to
> >
> > pixi_at_wien.atthere are two bugs when storing word documents in a long raw field
>
> if you use copy record the word document is not carried into
> the new record
>
> when you retrieve a word document from a long raw field with
> reports only one page is ever returned
>
> both have no planned fixes
>
> look at word.fmb in the forms demo area. consider storing the
> documents in the file system and the names in the database
> and use ole2 automation concepts in word.fmb to bring the
> documents into your form.

If you have time, you can write packages similiar to htp and htf that add rtf to raw data rather than HTML. When the url is reqested, you send a content-type of application/rtf and set up your helper application to fire off MSWord on the client.
I did it for a course catalog project where users could down-load the entire catalog into MSWord and put into their three ring binder. When changes were made to courses, they could choose to download only those courses that were changed.
I guess the real question is: Is there a way (through a form) that you could enter the documents into the DB rather than through MSWord?

I think the rtf packages would make a great cartridge for webserver 2.1. If anyone is interested, I can supply what I currently have for the rtf, rtp packages.

Glenn Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT