Re: What is fragmentation in databases ?

From: smp <no email>
Date: 1997/05/01

>==========Atif Ahmad Khan, 26/04/97==========
>

>I was flipping through the pages of the latest Oracle magazine
>and saw an ad that offered a product to address the fragmentation
>problem in database servers by ARIS (DFRAG 5.0- Page 37). I am
>not sure what fragmentation in databases is and what this product
>does. Does anybody know ? Just curious.
>
>Atif Khan
>aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Hi,

    We use ARIS DFRAG for our Oracle Financials database. It is a tool which can be used to report on fragmentation, numbers of extents, chaining of indexes etc.
It can be run GUI, from forms 3 or in character mode on the server. It will give a graphical report of exactly where in datafiles the table segments are.
It can be used to coalesce free space (we run oracle 7.1.3), to rebuild tables (and
associated indexes) online (ie while the users are logged in) or offline, it can be
running while you aren't there - (no more weekends at work)and, best of all from
my point of view, it will rebuild complete tablespaces, without the pain of export
and import. It tells you what is happening as it does it and it is pretty robust. I've
had dealings with the company directly as to use the product we had to get them
to port it to our flavour of Unix and they were very helpful. They are based in Seattle
 and we are in Scotland but the time difference didn't make any difference to them.
 The product isn't too expensive either.  (no I don't work for them I'm just happy to have a tool that works!)

Sally Pearce
Financials DBA(for my sins) Received on Thu May 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT