Lousy performace

From: Paul <pnutts_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1997/04/30

I am new to Oracle, so be kind...
We are implementing Oracle at our organization, and the performance seems to be lacking. I have nothing to benchmark it against except for the consultants telling us that our switched 100/10MBS Ethernet Network can't handle the bandwidth. Our NetWare tools tell us that our network utilization is only around 1%, so I don't know who to believe. Here are some specifics:
O/S version: 4.1.4 AIX
Server Hardware: IBM RS6000
Database ver: 7.3.2.3
Apps: 10.7 Prod. 16 (GUI)
A typical development PC is a 133MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM, 2.1Gig HD, Windows95.
Forms take a long time to open and the wait for information during the order entry process is a show-stopper. I realize that this is not very specific information (it is about all I know without asking someone), but our old AS400 at 9600 BAUD (character based) runs rings around our new system.
Is it really our network or are we overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated and you will become our hero. Paul Nutterfield
pnutts_at_writeme.com Received on Wed Apr 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT