Re: Performance Tuning

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1997/04/30

Stevan R. Makarevich wrote:

> Background:
> We are developing a WEB application using the Oracle WEBSERVER Toolkit
> and PL/SQL. The data resides on a mainframe DB2 database (ver 4.1),
> and is accessed via the Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2.
>
> Question:
> What is the most efficient way of cursor processing in PL/SQL? We know
> that in DB2 SQL, a block fetch can be forced with the use of "SELECT
> FOR FETCH'; is there a similar statement in PL/SQL? We have not been
> able to find it... is it implied, or is each fetch an I/O over the
> network?
>
> Information would be greatly appreciated.

In PL/SQL, you can only fetch one row at a time, the Oracle DBMS will automatically do caching for you. However, if you are using DB2 through Gateway, I'm not sure how the caching is done.

Personally, I think there must be some kind of caching. But you better check out the Gateway setting. Received on Wed Apr 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT