*Oracle 8 compatibility?

From: <scott_at_lighthouse.softbase.com>
Date: 1997/04/28

I'm extremely curious as to how compatible Oracle 8 will be with older binaries.

Right now, I have a library which accesses Oracle. I'm writing to 7.1, which is the lowest common denominator right now. Binaries compiled with its Pro*C will run on 7.later-than-1 versions. I have to be able to support almost everyone with what I develop on my HP workstation.

Oracle is *not* backwards compatible in the sense that 7.0 can't run 7.1 binaries. (I learned that the hard way!) It's only upwards compatible.

Is that true with 8? Will my 7.1 binaries still run, or will they have to be recompiled? Linking is not a problem, since my library is linked in with the user's Oracle libraries.

Scott Received on Mon Apr 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT