Re: HELP!!!! SQL*Net and the Internet

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_dande.com>
Date: 1997/04/28

Stephen Cohen wrote:

> Has anyone setup a client/server application using the public internet as
> the principle backbone for the system. More spcifically;
>
> The client has a shared dirctory for TNSNAMES., SQLNet., Init., etc... a
> mapped drive to the Oranw/bin, The client has the win95 WINSOCK stack and
> appropriate [Oracle] additions to the ini files.
>
> The server has SQL*Net and the related TCP/IP support files. The server is
> running Novell Netware 4.11. There is no firewall or proxy server between
> the client and the server.
>
> Oracle version 7.2 ans SQL*Net version 2.2
>
> I have had Oracle support on the phone for nearly 2 days.... they're
> stumped. I am about to lose my job over this one. It seemed so simple
> going in.
>
> Any help will recieve my undying respect,
> -Stephen Cohen
> SCohen_at_VAIS.net
> Steve.Cohen_at_advcom.com

When you say "shared directory" do you mean it is shared via Oracle's Client Software Manager or is it just a common directory on the network? What is your error? Are you running 16-bit or 32-bit SQL*Net? In my experience, most SQL*Net problems involve: 1) Missing the VSL.INI in the local windows directory. 2) Protection on the ORAWIN directory used by the client which prevents access.
3) ORAWIN not in the PATH.
4) WIN.INI points to wrong (or non-existent) ORACLE.INI.

--
Jay Hostetter