Re: Compare utility for Oracle databases

From: Gary Melhaff <melhafg_at_wdni.com>
Date: 1997/04/28

Lun Wing San wrote:

> Programming wrote:
> >
> > Are there similar utilities in Oracle, that will
> > compare and point out the differences between:
> > - tables from different databases
> > - entire schemas from different databases
> You can write some scripts that query the data dictionary for comparison. However,
> there is no such utility developed by Oracle so far.

> * *
> * Please go to http://www.hkstar.com/~rdbms/oracle.htm to find other solns *
> * *

My 2 cents...I use series of "select count(*) from dba_...." and "select count(*) from dba_..._at_db_link" for all relavent dba views (security roles, tab_privs, source codes lines, tables, tab columns, etc.)

When I see a difference in the count of objects I use a "select * from dba_... MINUS select * from dba_..._at_db_link" that shows what's different to drill down on difference.

Not very elegent but works. Interested in finding better methods!

--
Gary Melhaff
Senior Database Analyst