Re: Oracle ODBC connection and VB4

From: Will Kooiman <wkooiman_at_csac.com>
Date: 1997/04/27

I haven't used VB4 and ODBC, but I see an obvious error.

> I need my VB4 application to "talk" to the Oracle Local Database that
> resides on my desktop PC. When I try to open the database from my VB4
> app, I get the error message "Couldn't find installable ISAM."
>
> To setup the data source I double-clicked the ODBC icon in Control
> Panel, clicked the Add button, chose "Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb," and
> keyed in "Local Database" for data source name.

You do not want "Oracle ODBC Driver for Rdb". Rdb is the relational database product developed by Digital Equipment. Oracle purchased this from DEC a couple of years ago, and it is very different from Oracle. Try something that looks like "Oracle ODBC Driver for Oracle7". I'm not sure of the exact name, but I can find it if it is critical.

Will.

--
Will Kooiman                mailto:wkooiman_at_csac.com
Computer Systems Authority  http://www.csac.com