Re: Oracle Precompilers and COBOL Copybooks

From: Brian and Mary Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1997/04/27

Neil Richmond <NEILJ_at_concentric.net> wrote in article <3361177B.6FCD_at_concentric.net>...

Neil,

> I am currently on a project where I am writing COBOL programs that use
> embedded SQL. However, the majority of my embedded SQL is being placed
> in copybooks. The problem I am encountering is that the precompiler
> does not recognize my SQL code because it does not explode the copybook
> within the program. I know that I can simply hardcode the SQL within my
> program without using the copybooks, but this limits the reusability of
> my embedded SQL. I was wondering if anyone else has run across this
> situation, and what they did to resolve this "problem".

You should be able to specify a directory where your copybooks are contained. I think it is 'include=<directory>', and you put it on the PROCOB command line. In your main COBOL program, use an 'EXEC SQL INCLUDE' line to include the copybooks you want. Pro*COBOL will include them during precompile.

Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs              http://www.cincom.com/
Lead Software Engineer      voice: (513)677-7661

* To reply to me via e-mail, just remove the leading underscore from
  my return address.  I had to do this to cut down on the number of
  spammers pulling my address from UseNet postings and sending me
  junk e-mail.