Re: To RAID or not to RAID ??

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.NOSPAM.au>
Date: 1997/04/25

[newsgroups trimmed]
Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:

 %-< %-<
]However, as you are building a database, and not just a general purpose
]file server, you are going to know a lot more about your data and its
]dynamics than any RAID 5 controller would ever know. Thus you want to be
]able to partition your data, indexes, binaries, etc. across drives of
]*your* choice. You can then tune and do some analysis, then partition
]some more until you get the best balance. This would thus lead you more
]towards a mirrored solution, assuming you want the fault-tolerance.

   %-< %-<

Perhaps this in a HP thing, since the originator was talking about HP. I haven't done anything with HP.

With Sun there is no exclusion: R5 *OR* Mirror. We use both. A typical disk in our setup has:

R5-Log for an Oracle instance's data files Mirror-Log for a DB rollback segment

R5-column, part of the Oracle and application software volume.
R5-column, part of an Orcale instance's data file.
R5-column, part of an Oracle instances archived re-do log volume.
R5-column, part of the users home directories
R5-column, scratch space for file recoveries etc.
R5-column, part of a Progress database's data volume.
a stripe of a mirror for Oracle online re-do logs. a stripe of a mirror for another Oracle's online re-do logs. a stripe of a mirror for Oracle rollback segments a "concat" stripe for database exports.

This mixture is on a single disk. Note: some of the Oracle instances mentioned have very low useage, only one instance has more than 10 users, it has 160.

Flexibility to place the files where you want them? Yes, to create a Mirror, I use:
VOL=ENGTredo
BASE=3833856
LEN=51200
#

vxmake sd da5-$VOL da5,$BASE,$LEN
vxmake sd db0-$VOL db0,$BASE,$LEN
vxmake sd db5-$VOL db5,$BASE,$LEN
vxmake sd dc0-$VOL dc0,$BASE,$LEN
vxmake sd da6-$VOL da6,5120,5120
vxmake sd db1-$VOL db1,5120,5120
vxmake plex plA-$VOL sd=da5-$VOL,db0-$VOL \
       layout=stripe columns=2 st_width=64
vxmake plex plB-$VOL sd=db5-$VOL,dc0-$VOL \
       layout=stripe columns=2 st_width=64
vxmake -Ufsgen vol vol-$VOL plex=plA-$VOL,plB-$VOL vxvol init active vol-$VOL
vxvol rdpol select vol-$VOL
vxsd aslog plA-$VOL da6-$VOL
vxsd aslog plB-$VOL db1-$VOL
#vxvol set len=446976 vol-$VOL
vxprint vol-$VOL

You see that BASE and LEN? they don't have to be the same for each stripe, but I like to keep them that way for ease of shifting things around. You can see that I have complete control over where and on which disks I put this mirror. I can then create a RAID5 somewhere else on the same disks. Surely HP let's you do something very similar.

--
Unfortunately, offensive E-Mail spam has forced me
to modify my E-Mail address. Remove the word NOSPAM