Re: Compare utility for Oracle databases

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/24

Programming wrote:

> We need to reconcile our different databases
> in Test, Acceptance, and Production.
>
> The DOS utility, COMP will compare two
> disks, and point out the differences between
> the two.
>
> Are there similar utilities in Oracle, that will
> compare and point out the differences between:
> - tables from different databases
> - entire schemas from different databases

 Well I tend to create a database link between the db's and run a script that select objects from db 1 that don't exist in db 2, and vice-versa. You can knock up a simple piece of SQL to do this, selecting from dba_objects in each db. You could easily adapt the sql to just compare individual schemas.

As regards comparing the data in the tables, that's a little complicated... I'm not sure if this is what you wanted to do?

Steve Phelan. Received on Thu Apr 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT