VARCHAR2 in Pro*C

From: Thomas Booker <booket01_at_mchip00.med.nyu.edu>
Date: 1997/04/22

I am using Pro*C to select a group of rows from Oracle. One of the columns is a VARCHAR2, with data varying in length from 1 character to 550 characters. When I select the column in OCI, the program returns only
the text of the string in the column, no extra spaces. When I select the column
in Pro*C, it pads the column out to 550 spaces, regardless of how long the
actual string is.

Is there an easy way around this? I tried RTRIM() to get rid of the padded
spaces, but that didn't help. I only want the text in the column, not extra
spaces at the end.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.