Re: ODBC Alternative for UniCode

From: Rick Brown <rick_at_onramp.net>
Date: 1997/04/22

In article <335CEC9E.451F_at_wang.com> John Moriarty <john.moriarty_at_wang.com> writes:
>From: John Moriarty <john.moriarty_at_wang.com>
>Subject: ODBC Alternative for UniCode
>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:51:42 +0000

>We presently have a Visual C++ application which uses Oracle's ODBC
>driver to communicate with our database. We are in the process of
>converting our app to UniCode to support Internationalization. According
>to Microsoft, ODBC does not presently support UniCode. Does anyone know
>of an alternative to ODBC for database access which supports UniCode?

I would expect OCI (Oracle Call Interface) to support Unicode strings (don't have a copy of OCIW32.DLL handy on this machine to do a DUMPBIN on to check). You could call it directly or use one of a number of class libraries that wrap OCI. Pro*C should work, too, although you may find OCI or an OCI wrapper a better fit to your application design. The MFC version of Oracle Objects for OLE might support Unicode as well, since it is yet another OCI wrapper.

If not, I would do the equivalent of a UUENCODE/UUDECODE on the char strings to pack and unpack a single 16-bit Unicode char into 3 7-bit ASCII bytes. If you have to do that, you might as well go back to ODBC, I'd guess.

Rick Brown
msusrtsp.rick_at_eds.com Received on Tue Apr 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT