Space taken up by a CHAR variable

From: Tansel <tansel_at_openix.com>
Date: 1997/04/19

Dear Oracle Users/DBA's,

My question is:

What is the space taken up by a CHAR field when it is not populated, i.e. when it is NULL?
This is very important for me since I have to adjust my PCT_FREE and PCT_USED parameters for a 15 million record file accordingly. All the fields in the table are CHAR's. If ,when I create the table, the unpopulated fields take up as much space as their size, that means when I update these fields in future the record size is not going to get bigger, which also means my PCT_FREE can be a very small number. The only operations on the table are UPDATEs and INSERTs.

Thanks..

Tansel Received on Sat Apr 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT