Re: DBMS_SQL - string litetal too long...

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_flash.net>
Date: 1997/04/18

Michal Hillel wrote:

> I'm trying to make a dynamic insert statment with DBMS_SQL,
> but, if my string is over 2000 charcters,
> i'm getting error "ORA-01704 string literal too long".
>
> what can i do to make a statement that is above 2000 characters???
because dbms_sql uses varchars you are limited to 2000 characters. There are two ways around it:
1. Figure out how to divide your query and put the results together. maybe two cursors concurrently. Not efficient, but functional. 2. Rewrite in Pro*C (or cobol or whatever)

Loyal Barber
MCI Systemhouse Received on Fri Apr 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT