WANTED: SQL-Statement

From: Frank Dugrillon <frank.dugrillon_at_chbs.mhs.ciba.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

Hi everbody!

I am looking for a solution to the following problem:

I have a table with my numbers, e.g.:

SELECT * FROM MYNUMBERS;
 1
 3
 4

In another table I have all allowed values:

SELECT * FROM ALLNUMBERS;
 1
 2
 3
 4
 5

The select statement

SELECT * FROM ALLNUMBERS MINUS SELECT * FROM MYNUMBERS;  2
 5

returns the set of all the allowed numbers I don't use in MYNUMBERS. Does anybody see a way to get the same result without using the table ALLNUMBERS? (because I would need an ugly table consisting of 10000000 numbers; I am thinking of a statement like: SELECT * FROM "virtual set of numbers from 1 to 5" MINUS SELECT * FROM MYNUMBERS;)

Thank you for any hint!

Frank
frank.dugrillon_at_chbs.mhs.ciba.com Received on Thu Apr 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT