Re: Oracle8 beta Now Available !

From: Robert Jefson <rjefson_at_highway1.com>
Date: 1997/04/17

Neil Greene wrote:

> [This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.server and a copy was
> sent to the cited author.]
>
> In article <5j4jbm$gp7$1_at_NNTP.MsState.Edu>, aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu says...
> >

> > Oracle8 beta Now Available ! Or at least thats what www.oracle.com
> > webmaster thinks. The host odp.us.oracle.com, from where we are
> > supposed get more information from, does not have a dns entry !
>
> Try http://odp.oracle.com. There is a typo on the web sever or the DNS
> master didn't create the new entry properly. -- neil
>
> --
> Neil Greene
> Senior System Engineer / Oracle DBA
> MCI Systemhouse, Inc.
> <mailto:ngreene_at_laoc.SHL.com>

Caveat for newcomers to the Oracle Developer's Program: Be prepared to wait about 30 days after joining the ODP for you to be entered into the "user database" and, hence, be able to order a trial license of the Oracle8 beta from the address listed above. I joined the ODP on 3/26 (over 3 weeks ago), attempted to access the Oracle8 beta when it was available using my temporary username and password, and was refused admission with the admonition "Sorry, user xxx does not exist in the user database". So, I called up Oracle and got what would become my permanent username and password but was told that I wouldn't be entered into the user database for about 30 days. Today, I tried again to gain entrance with my permanent username and password, but I'm still greeted with the familiar "Sorry, user xxx does not exist in the database.." Hopefully, in a few days I'll be in - I'm looking forward to it.

-Rob Received on Thu Apr 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT