Re: online-backups

From: Laurie D. Miller <lmiller_at_lindy.stanford.edu>
Date: 1997/04/17

OHEARN wrote:

> Is there a way to do on-line backups(Hot Backups) without ever shutting
> the database down. Is there a way to turn the archive logs on and off
> without taking the database down.

Yes, hot backups can be executed while the instance is up. In fact, that is why they are called hot backups. Generally, you take a tablespace offline, backup it up, and put back online. Also, backup the archive logs. You should really read the Database Backup and Recovery manuals for infdormation about this.

As far as I know, you cannot dynamically start/stop archiving.

Good lock,
Laurie.

--

Laurie D. Miller           Stanford University
Database Administrator     lmiller_at_lindy.stanford.edu