New(?) Oracle books from www.oracle.com

From: Robert Jefson <rjefson_at_highway1.com>
Date: 1997/04/14

I ordered 'Oracle Developer/2000 Handbook' and 'Oracle Designer/2000 Handbook' from the Oracle Store for Oracle Developer Program members located at www.oracle.com. The books were listing on a page under the heading of "New Publications". I just received my books. The Developer/2000 Handbook is copyrighted in 1996 and contains a cdrom with a trial version of Developer/2000, release 1.2 for win 3.1. The Designer/2000 Handbook is copyrighted 1997, covers version 1.3, and has Septemer 1996 listed under the authors names in the 'acknowledgements' sections of the book. Also, checking the on-line bookstore www.amazon.com for Designer/2000 I see a publication date of Nov. 1996 and a total length of 610 pages which is exactly the number of pages my 1997 (supposedly) version has.

Anyway, since these books are listed as "New Publications" on Oracle's web site and I am new to Oracle, its versions, and publications I'd appreciate it if any veterans could tell me if they think I have, in fact, received the newest versions of these books or are there are newer versions coming out shortly, etc. I called Oracle about returning the 1996 Developer/2000 Handbook, was passed around to 2 or 3 operators, and nobody seemed to know anything about whether what I had was in fact the most current versions or is Oracle advertising "New" and shipping "Old".

-Rob rjefson_at_highway1.com Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT