Re: Invoking Oracle store proc via VB4/16, DAO

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: 1997/04/12

> I'm in the process of converting a database server from Sybase 4.92 to
> Oracle 7.3. Not too much problem there except for the VB front end.
> Apparently, invoking Oracle stored proc. is not as easy as I thought.

Invoking stored procedures is easy. But Oracle and Informix and other serious SQL RDBMS products do not 'return' records in the manner in which you are familiar. Your problem is probably not invoking them. It is probably that you expect a recordset to be returned to your front-end. It won't be. Also, with Microsoft destroying ODBC security do you really want to be front-ending a serious database with Visual Basic? And if you do stick with VB you should look at RDO rather than DAO.

I would suggest that you look for a more secure and robust front-end tool such as Developer/2000 or Delphi. VB is a toy by comparison.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Apr 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT