BACK DOORS in Oracle

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

I had a not so pleasant experience with Oracle a few days ago.

DATE is supposed to be a reserved word in Oracle and you are not allowed to use as a column etc name (now I know it!). I created a whole bunch of tables by running scripts which was based on the DDL of a DB on MS SQL Server. One of those tables had DATE as a column name. Oracle didn't catch it while running the script and now I had a table with a column named DATE. After that, I started having mysterious crashes in Oracle. It was really frustarting. I figured the problem out when I was creating a string of triggers on some tables and an attempt to create triggers on particular table always resulted in Oracle getting crashed with the same Dr. Watson (winNT) messages. Only when I decided to drop the table and recreate it thinking that may be file sectors have gone bad or some thing that I found the problem. Once that was fixed, all errors just went away.

Not pretty.....

--nasir Received on Fri Apr 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT