From: Hrishikesh Samant <samant_at_simulate.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

My appliation needs to load about 15-20 Gigabytes of data into an Oracle database, which i read from a bunch of tapes using a VC++ program. (I have Oracle installed on a WinNT/P-200 machine.) Presently I'm writing out the data to CSV files, and using SQLLoader to upload this data to Oracle using the direct path option. I want to integrate this loading function into my C code and execute this complete process in one 'shot'(without having to write .par and .ctl files).. the ultimate aim is to let non-techie end-users run the stuff.

My Questions-

Is there a faster/cleaner way of doing all this? (beside the obvious option of build a wrapper function around the sqlldr.exe utility)

Is there a way to access and write to the Oracle tables 'directly' using C program, and if so, how easy is it?
I guess I could use Pro C and do a bunch of inserts, but will this be at the cost of speed?

Is there any commercial utility in the market which does something similar (and is faster than SQL Loader)?

Thanks!

Hrishikesh Received on Fri Apr 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT