Re: Forms4.5 problem

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

Create a display_field in the block, not the control block. Create a post query trigger to set the display_field. Create a display_field validation trigger. This validation trigger updates the STATUS column. You can put the lov on the display_field.

: Joe Strano
: Dulcian, Inc.

: Alan Campbell wrote:
: >
: > Can anyone advise me on how to get around a problem that I have encountered in
: > Oracle forms 4.5.
: >
: > I have a block that is based on a base table, which displays the contents of
: > each record and allows the user to modify the details.
: >

: > One of the fields (base table) is a status which is held as a character value
: > ('00'-'07'), which has an associated meaning.
: > eg.
: > '00' = Registered.
: > '07' = Closed.
: >
: > I want the users to be able to modify this value without having to know what
: > each value means.
: >
: > What I have done is to overlay the status field with another field that is not
: > based on a base table item (this field will contain the translation of the
: > status), and created a LOV, that displays the translation of the status, the LOV
: > also updates the contents of the base table field as well as the new field when
: > the user selects a new status.
: > This works ok, but the new field is only ever populated when the user selects
: > something from the LOV. What I wanted was for the new field to display the
: > status when the form starts, so I created a WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger and
: > placed some code in it to populate the new field, based on the status value from
: > the underlying table.
: > The problem is that the user is always prompted to save any changes to the form
: > when they exit (COMMIT_FORM), when they have not made any changes. I am
: > assuming this is because I have populated the new field on startup which has
: > caused the form status to be set to changed.
: >
: > Is there a way around this problem ?
: >
: > TIA
: > Alan
: > ---
: > Alan Campbell
: > alan_at_mullen.demon.co.uk

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you