Re: Designing an Oracle site from scratch !

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/04/11

Robert Miller <rwmiller_at_gte.net> writes:

>Atif, You might consider walking away. You may not be helping your
>customer. You did not mention if you have any experience in Data
>Modeling and the relational database model. I am suprised that no one
>has mentioned the foundation work done by Codd and Date. If you don't
>understand the relational model and Rules of Normalization, it is
>probable that the customer will not end up with a stable database
>design; "generally" acknowledged as third normal form at a minimum.

I have been working with Paradox in my Past life. Been working with Oracle for almost a year. I have read several books (okay I didn't finish them all) on relational database design and very familiar with the relational model and rules of normalization. I even have had the "Rules of Normalization" poster pasted on my bathroom door for over 6 months :) I am fairly confident in my abilities. I just would like to save some time by looking at good designs that are out there as models, instead of starting one from scratch myself.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Fri Apr 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT