Re: Forms 4.5/Dev 2000 "How to implement FIND/SEARCH Dialog in Forms 4.5" ???

From: Alex Heney <heneya_at_entcf3.agw.co.bt.uk>
Date: 1997/04/10

Jens U. Veigel wrote:

> Hi Pro's
>
> Like to (Actually need to) implement a FIND/SEARCH feature (in a pop
> up dialogbox or in a text field) for finding/searching data in an
> already displayed querry. I understand I probably need to re-querry,
> etc , but I don't seem to find a build in function for this. Is there
> something that comes with forms 4.5 that I can use to find/search...
> for data that is in displayed columns. My problem is that it takes to
> long to scroll through querries in forms. Do I need to turn on
> buffering ?? Like to use the search feature to "jump" to the row
> where the matching data e.g. 695%..... or 695* has been found.

What you can do is to set up a select statement using a cursor loop, where the selection criteria and order by are the same as in your displayed block. Set a counter, and increment it each time round the loop until a match is found for the value entered, when you exit the loop. You can then use this counter as the value for a Go_Record statement.

If this is going to be called several times for the same initial query, it might be more efficient to read all the data once into a record group, again making sure that the selectionand ordering are tha same as in the main query, then search this for the row with matching data, rather than accessing the database every time.

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.