Re: Driver load question

From: Chris Hamilton <chrish_at_cmprime.att.com>
Date: 1997/04/08

Peter Oake <peteroak_at_auracom.com> wrote

> This has been a total Dos 6.2 environment. The trouble starts when I
> attempt to load their application in a dos box under Win95 or Win3.1 .
 The
> batch file attempts to load a driver called SQLPME. This returns an
 error
> message that says VCPI is not installed.

> As such the application (payroll) will not start. I am able to restart
 the
> workstation in full dos mode and the application will load just fine. The
> hope is to keep win95 running and use the application in a dos box rather
> than have to restart the computer each time that they want to use this
> application.

If memory serves me correctly . . .

SQLPME is the SQL Protected Mode Executive. It is a DOS extended-memory driver that Oracle wrote back in the olden days to allow Oracle products for DOS
to use the full RAM rather than just the base 640k. You must load it first before
any other products like SQL*Net, SQL*Plus, etc. can function. The VCPI is the Virtual something-something, I think it is referring to QEMM, EMM386, or
another OS extended / expanded memory driver, which must be loaded in order for SQLPME to work.

The problem is none (for the most part) of the Oracle for DOS stuff works in a Windows DOS
box. You need to get the real Windows versions of the Oracle products. (I think there
were kludge workarounds at one time, but that was quite a while ago). Of course, if your
application is purely DOS-based, that could be a problem.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- chrish_at_cmprime.att.com DBA, AT&T WorldNet Service - Lincroft, NJ http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Tue Apr 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT