Re: Designing an Oracle site from scratch !

From: netac <netac_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/04/08

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> I am helping a business re-design their entire database.
> The original one suffered from poor design that later
> became apparent and severe. I am hoping to not repeat
> history. I am wondering if there are any sample designs
> that I could look at. Any good books maybe ?
>
> I have noticed that most business have similar needs, they
> have a product to sell (products table), have cusotmers
> (customers table), have orders from these customers (orders
> table), products that are ordered (ordered_products table)...
> employee table... So someone must have outlined a dbms
> strategy, that most business can adapt with little or no
> modification. No ?
>
> I have seen some very basic implementations with details of
> these tables, but it would certainly be more interesting to
> see a more complexed design that covers more areas and have
> more details. If there really is nothing then I would have
> to publish my design on a web page to give newcomers a
> starting poin :)
>
> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Look, this has been done so many times. Like Nike says, Just Do It! Some quick tips, get a computer system with lots of disk drives. Separate tablespaces and redo logs (mirror them) across as many disks as possible. Use separate tablespaces for indexes, try and put them on different disk drives. Also, another tip, if you need to use a LONG field in a table, make another table that just contains the foreign key information back to the master along with the LONG. These LONGs slow things down bigtime when they are carried along with the main table they are a part of... Received on Tue Apr 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT