Re: Importing ascii-file into database in OPOProfessional

From: George H. Claborn <claborn_at_bit-net.com>
Date: 1997/04/07

Rolf Paulsen <paurol_at_nw-mail.hs.nki.no> wrote in article

><3344556D.5C9A_at_nw-mail.hs.nki.no>...

>> Hi!
>>
>> I am rather new to Power Objects.
>> I have data comming in to my system as an ascii-file. The format of this
>> file is known.
>>
>> I would appreciate it if anybody might have some hints as to how I could
>> implement a code that could get the information from the file, put it
>> into variables and enter them into the db using SQL.
>>
>> Guess the biggest problem is the BASIC syntax in PO for fileaccess.
>>
>> Hope there is somebody out there that might know a solution.
>>
>> Thank you very much
>> Rolf Paulsen, Norway

Hi Rolf,

        I assume you've considered the following, but since you didn't mention it, I will. The SQL*Loader utility that ships with the base Oracle product does exactly what you want, no coding required. It's documented in the Oracle Server Utilities manual.