Re: Oracle Replication Manager

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1997/04/06

Phil Melendez wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Michael Ho (infoage_at_hk.super.net) wrote:
> : I actual have experience setup a Replication environment which is now in
> : production.

> : The Oracle Replication Option doesn't work below 7.3.

> : My comment is :
> : 1. Knowledge, Training and Experience is essential.
> : 2. More consideration in security and performance consideration.
>
> Can you expand on this? I will be benchmarking a SymRep environment
> we are putting together and wish to know what I need to look out
> for.
>
> : 3. More consideration and efforts in architectual and functional design.
> : 4. More consideration in operation procedure setup.
>
> Can you expand here also? What did you do to setup procedures?
>
> : 5. More effor to maintain and support.
>
> As a percentage how much more effort is it now? In what areas
> to you spend the additional support time?
>
> : Conclusion, good but be careful.
> : By the way, my Replication Manager on NT works fine but slow.

Security :
Better not to tell you, try find out yourself.

Performance :
1. It decreases on-line performance 200% to 500%, for the Replication Triggers.
2. It is inefficient using the WAN. Very slow especially when update lots of records.

Operation :

1. How to handle conflict records ?  Rules or manual ?
2. Any replication audit log ?  How to do problem tracing ?
3. How to backup, and most important, how to restore ?

Monitor :
1. Who monitor the replication job status ? (The job will break after 16 retries.)

2. The replication log status ?  Any chance over flow ?
3. Replication speed, fast enough ?
4. Replication Error monitoring and solving.
5. Any Diff between two sites ? (Sometimes it happens)

Planning :

1. Extra Contingency Planning.
2. Special Recovery Planning.
3. Extra-ordinary data synchronization planning.

Support and Maintain :

1. Conflict resolution.
2. Problem tracing originated from Replication.
3. Extra work on database changes.

Most of those works are new in Replication Environment. Depend on your setup and
your situation, hard to predict how much more work. For us, quite a lot of extra
workload and problems. I takes 1/4 to 3/4 people to handle. Received on Sun Apr 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST