Updating a (complex) view

From: Venu Subramaniam <venusub_at_popd.ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/04/05

I am pretty new to Oracle and am designing a 2-tier architecture which uses View-based security.

I am trying to update a View which is using columns from one underlying table but references a column from another table. Is this a complex view? I am not able to Update such a View. Let me give an example.

If my view is composed by

CREATE VIEW MYVIEW AS
SELECT x, y, z from MYTABLE, MYOTHERTABLE where x=MYOTHERTABLE.p;

In the above View, the columns x,y,z all come from MYTABLE and a reference is made to column p in MYOTHERTABLE.

I am not able to Update MYVIEW. Can I do this in any other way? Security is my primary concern and I'd prefer users not to update any tables directly.
Thanks a lot for any help.
- Venu Received on Sat Apr 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST