Multi-threaded Pro*C clients?

From: Lance S. Nehring <lnehrin_at_uswest.com>
Date: 1997/04/04

Is it possible for a multi-thread client to _simultaneaously_ access an Oracle database using concurrent connections???

I'm using Oracle7.23 on a HP 9000/829 running HPUX 10.10 (The threads package is POSIX draft IV).

Testing so far indicates that concurrent connections are okay and using threads is okay.....but, thou shalt not access the database simultaneously in two different threads (even with separate connections). I've also tried making the SQLCA private to the functions that require it without any affect (positive or negative).

The error is typically an ORA-01002 Fetch out of sequence.

I'm guessing that Oracle client code is simply not reentrant so what I've tried just cannot work. Could this be something Pro*C cannot handle but OCI could do???

Has anyone else tried this?? Is there a version of Oracle that can do this??

Thanks,
Lance Received on Fri Apr 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST